Over the years thousands of people have completed the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers exams. These exams are a great way to:
1. Learn about the industry
2. Gain a recognised shipping qualification
3. Beef up your resume in order to gain shorebased employment within the Shipping Industry.
Although one doesnt need any qualifications in order to be a commercial shipping boffin, there is a definite need for training. Commercial Industry training helps to lift the level of professionalism within an industry.
There are other training options open to the budding commercial shipping executive. Infact I dont have a certifcate nor am I member of the Institute of Chartered Shipbroking. I do however have a Masters in Maritime Business from a first class European University. I also have an Undergraduate Degree in International trade and Shipping Economics. From personal experience the formal degrees have helped build a solid foundation for my move up the corporate ladder.
Before the age of 35 I had
- worked as a shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader, chartering officer and shipping lecturer.
- Gained General Manger and Directorship level in large, multinational Shipbroking and Shipowning companies.
But here's a huge secret...the most important elements of success one cannot learn from a university degree or an Industry Certificate. The best shipbrokers, chartering executives and freight traders, some of whom have no formal training, keep these secrets well hidden.
I intend to write more on these topics going forward. So help me help you and say Hi. Leave a message or ask a question. Tell a friend and let me know that this blog is a useful resource. That will keep the Virtual Shipbroker motivated to keep posting my 'Insiders Guide to International Shipping'.
- The Virtual Shipbroker
- Hi. I am a shipping company director, transport academic, author, family man and all round nice guy. I have worked as shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader and bulk charterer, in senior positions, with some of the largest and most disrespected (joke) companies in the world. Ask my advice on all things shipping and you will receive my blunt and always honest answer. Hang around to learn more about chartering and ship broker salaries, chartering and ship broker jobs, chartering and shipbroker recruitment agencies, cheap freight, maritime education, chartering and ship broker qualifications, become a ship broker, tips on how to be a successful bulk shipping executive, philosophy, Zen and the art of shipbroking, and much more. Yours The Virtual Shipbroker (recently proclaimed the guru of shipbroking) Copyright © 2009-15 by Virtualshipbroker