A few short years ago (ok maybe 15 years) there were four ship sizes
Handy size, handymax, Panamax and Capesize
Here is my take on the current sizes and appropriate terminology
- Very Large Ore Carrier VLOC 210,000 metric tonne dwt (deadweight)
- Capesize 120,000-209,999 dwt
- Post-Panamax 85,000-119,999 dwt
- Panamax 65,000-84,999 dwt
- Handymax 40,000-64,999 dwt
- Handysize 10,000-39,999 dwt
I love big ships...think I might take up ship spotting and plan my trip to gibraltar (the best place to watch ships) armed with nothing but binoculars, whisky and cigars. I may even go commando.
Heaven (if shipping is your thing).