Does a broker need to know how to run a voyage calculation to be a star. No - but it helps.
20 years ago I would guess that 5 percent of brokers could run a voyage calculation. These days maybe 20 percent know the basics. Many brokers concentrate on time charter tonnage and orders and therefore have no need to learn how to make a voyage calculation.
So what are the benefits then of knowing this skill?
1. You can quickly assess the prospects of your charterers business.
2. It shows you are taking an active interest in your charterers business
3. It gives you an 'IN' when it comes to talking shop with both the charterer and the shipowner. This on many instances will allow you to secure the channel of negotiation.
4. By knowing how the freight price is calculated it allows the broker to offer some solutions taht other brokers may be unaware of. For example - the voyage charter order may quote a discharge rate of 10,000 shinc. Being a good broker you are aware that at the discharge port in question that they regulary achieve 15,000 shinc discharge. Armed with this knowledge you will now be able to work out the cost of this disparity (through adjusting your voyage calc) and show both parties the outcome. This is called finding solutions to help bring a fixture together.
Good broking - send me the recap!
To review the revolutionary Vs Voyage estimation pack click here
- The Virtual Shipbroker
- Hi. I am a shipping company director, transport academic, author, family man and all round nice guy. I have worked as shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader and bulk charterer, in senior positions, with some of the largest and most disrespected (joke) companies in the world. Ask my advice on all things shipping and you will receive my blunt and always honest answer. Hang around to learn more about chartering and ship broker salaries, chartering and ship broker jobs, chartering and shipbroker recruitment agencies, cheap freight, maritime education, chartering and ship broker qualifications, become a ship broker, tips on how to be a successful bulk shipping executive, philosophy, Zen and the art of shipbroking, and much more. Yours The Virtual Shipbroker (recently proclaimed the guru of shipbroking) Copyright © 2009-17 by Virtualshipbroker