Who is?

Hi. I am a shipping company director, transport academic, author, family man and all round nice guy. I have worked as shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader and bulk charterer, in senior positions, with some of the largest and most disrespected (joke) companies in the world. Ask my advice on all things shipping and you will receive my blunt and always honest answer. Hang around to learn more about chartering and ship broker salaries, chartering and ship broker jobs, chartering and shipbroker recruitment agencies, cheap freight, maritime education, chartering and ship broker qualifications, become a ship broker, tips on how to be a successful bulk shipping executive, philosophy, Zen and the art of shipbroking, and much more. Yours The Virtual Shipbroker Andy Jamison is the alter ego (pen name) of ex shipping guy and blog creator Nick van der Hoeven Copyright © 2020 by Virtualshipbroker Contact virtualshipbroker@yahoo.com

Thursday, February 25, 2010

How I landed my first job 20 years ago!

Dear Mr. Onassis

Thank you for your letter of April 17. After careful consideration I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a chartering position with your firm.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your companies outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time. Therefore, I will initiate employment with your firm immediately following graduation. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future candidates.

Sincerely,
The Wannabe Shipbroker
 
(and I have never looked back!)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting approach. Personally, maybe I would have failed for it then, but definitely not these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant. Similar to what an ex-boss of mine did, only better. If nothing else they can't help being impressed by the persistance, right? I'm not saying it always pays off and you must have had a few other good arguments or references, but it might just swing the balance in your favour. In spite of Jebus' comment, I think these guts are as valuable today as ever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. KP

    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Someone once said "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". That certainly applies here. The way I really got my first job is a lot less interesting.

    University ....3 job interviews.....2 offers...

    The rest is shipping folklore (to me anyway)

    Cheers
    VS

    ReplyDelete